HC (67 /?)
Not anonymous - but shall remain nameless!
one question, I know you alredy talk about the Proposal scene, I’m a newbies, so i didn’t have time allredy to read all you works but i wondering if you allredy talke about THERE VOICE. Because every time i lisen to them i just have my stocam goes up and down and my heart stop, it seam so real and intense. ?? Thanks XOXO
I actually hadn’t done the proposal - I hadn’t been asked to - so I loved the question!!
ONE OF MY FAVORITE SCENES BETWEEN THEM!! (DUH right?!) This is going to be completely and totally “obnoxious” so stop here if you don’t want to delve into the deep crevasses of a totally adamant and unwavering CC shipper - cause this is going there…..
This scene was shot from at least three angles and edited together from those shots (Glee is almost always a one camera operation - so multiple takes from different angles necessary)
I have ABSOLUTELY NO idea in what order they did the different shots - but I like to think that they did the shot facing down at Darren, over Chris’ right shoulder, first as he was the primary speaker.
The sound track that was used was from a single take, I am pretty certain (again which one we will never know).
Break it down - moment by moment:
It almost starts immediately with Darren - the emotionally overwhelmed sensations hitting him and having to maintain composure.
(.13) The ghosted laugh (for lack of a better description)
- laughing is one of Darren’s “hides” - he uses it when he is uncomfortable, nervous or wants to hide when he wants to cry and is fighting the emotion (the thickness that hits his voice is the tell of that)
- this was not scripted - it was Darren’s personal reaction to a real life fact in a highly emotionally charged moment.
- Darren and Chris did meet “right here” (not the staircase specifically) but on Glee - and this staircase does mean the beginning of all that they have had together since.
- This opening scripted sentence set Darren on a path that he almost couldn’t take from the start
- The laugh was to cover - catch his breath and continue with the lines and scene
(.22) The change from Blaine’s voice to Darren’ voice
- The further Darren gets into the speech the more he focuses in on the words and the their meanings for him and lets go of specific “blaine-isms” and lets the scene carry forward naturally.
- intentionally or not (we will never know) this becomes straight from Darren to Chris - every word - no character bleed - just them
(.23-.25) The searching eye contact:
Darren isn’t looking into Chris’ eyes he is searching for his soulmate within those eyes and he is determined to make contact - it is so focused and penetrating.
moments before the next moment I describe - Chris’ eyes flutter rapidly - that is the involuntary response to the intensity of Darren’s stare
(.25) The moment Chris no longer sees and hears ”Blaine. instead processes the change in Darren - he releases the tension in his shoulders he has been holding as Kurt - Kurt who doesn’t know if he is ready to marry the man he loves - Kurt who was waiting to hear the words that could convince him he is ready to say the yes that is sitting on the tip of tongue. (until this moment his breathing had been tight and high demonstrated in the shoulder movement - in this moment they dropped down for the first time)
- Chris releases Kurt from the scene and allows the moment to continue down the path that Darren has already set when he shifted and released Blaine. (that magical crossroad/intersection)
- Chris is already certain - they both have been for some time - this is their moment and they take the leap together.
THEY BOTH COMMIT FROM THIS MOMENT FORWARD - IT IS CHRIS AND DARREN NOW - HEART TO HEART - SOUL TO SOUL - IT MEANS TOO MUCH TO NOT BE FULLY IN AND TAKE THIS TO A DIFFERENT LEVEL
(like other scenes they have done similarly in - ie. the first time - they allow themselves to take over and let the personal intimacy of their lives through - it is here that they elevate to another level - unafraid and willing - because they know they can do it together.)
Remember when Darren said he can “ping” things at Chris and he does it right back? This is them demonstrating that. Whether practiced before hand or not - Darren shifted and Chris willingly followed.
this is what they do in moments like this - They (Chris and Darren) are Klaine - together they make Klaine real - it is why it NEVER fails - they do it together without reserve.
(.25 - .45) The assent up the stairs and closer to Chris. The words so familiar and simple - but loaded with truth and meaning (the words that are bolded and italicized were words changed from the original script)
- Their friendship was immediate (“it’s never really felt like I've been getting to know you”)
- The connection was strong (“it’s always felt like I was remembering you from something
- The trust was unwavering (“as if in every lifetime that you and I have ever lived, we have chosen to come back, and find each other, and fall in love all over again, over and over.”)
(.46) “For all eternity”
- The smile on Darren’s face (if you freeze it) that meets his eyes which are wide, open and honest - he truly sees and longs for eternity in Chris.
Darren not only means every word - he believes them. They have spoken similar words in private and shared similar thoughts.
This was a story shared between more than just their on screen characters.
It is truly theirs and it is absorbing every nerve and sensation in their bodies as they share it.
- Chris isn’t just listening to the words being said to him - he is hearing them (and yes there is a difference - and a reason why he is such a gifted “reactor”)
- He has succumbed to the responses of his body (the increase heart rate, the stuttering (and then held) breaths, the dry mouth, the dilated eyes)
(and to clarify - both of them have dilated eyes - you have to realize this room - being stark white - is very hard to light without a lot of shadows - so the lighting is strong, bright, and very direct - for their eyes to be what they are now is despite the very bright light that is causing the opposite effect of constriction - hence why they don’t look “blown” as you might expect - but they are both responding to what they are looking at so intently)
(.47 - .59 ) “and I just feel so lucky, that I found you so soon in this lifetime. Because all I want to do. All I’ve ever wanted to do. Is spend my life loving you.”
- First,the line was changed to making ”loving” into an action that he intends to continue “to do”. And he changes it from past to present and future (the line was originally written “was to spend”
- Second, watch Darren’s eyes. They move rapidly right and left as he scans Chris’ eyes which are barely blinking by this point. He is sending a message of his certainty, belief and confidence in “this” that exists between them and his intention. These are not just words on a page.
(1.00) Chris’ breath has been held again as he absorbed the words and allowed the meaning to filter through. With the love and certainty emanating off of Darren he knows it is real and he relaxes enough that his body aching for oxygen claims it.
- Had Chris not been wearing a full button up shirt you would have seen the retraction around his trachea.
- He has done this before when he gets absorbed into moments and lets himself really sink into the honesty of it (because this is not Chris controlling his breathing - this is his mind getting so absorbed in what is going on and the intensity of it that for those few seconds oxygen is not the priority) - he has done this more with Darren than any other character on the show. (but I am certain if I went back I would find moments with others - his father comes to mind - so I am sure this comes from his personal focus - but it is only brought out by his acting partner)
(1.05) “so, Kurt Hummel”
The look on Darren’s face when he looks up to Chris on this line and the way he says “kurt hummel” with a slight stutter- I always felt like he could have so easily said “Chris Colfer” and quiet possibly could have had he not taken a second to recollect that this was them still “acting”
It was like he had a secret when he muttered the name of the man he was proposing to and daring Chris to understand.
(1.08) “my amazing friend”
Could that be any more true for them?!
(we have heard this said, in so many ways, by so many people that have spent time with them) NEVER DOUBT THIS IS TRUE!
(1.10) “my one true love”
They have to believe this for them to have made it though all that they have.
It would have been so simple for timing for Darren to not be looking at Chris when he said this and let the focus be the ring - he stayed locked in on Chris - because he was communicating something else that the ring would serve to enhance - but was not about the ring.
(this may sound simple and a “well duh” statement - but from a performers perspective - this was a definitive choice that Darren made about his focal point) And after he said it he stayed locked for a second longer than necessary to punctuate the sentiment - he meant those words with every fiber of his being.
(1.12 - 1.13) presentation of the ring
At the end of the previous moment, Darren meets Chris’ eyes one last time before the final question. He looks down and opens the box taking in the symbolism of this small piece of metal. It is with that glance he exhales the breath that was caught in his lungs. He understands, far too well, what this means to them both.
(1.13 - 1.16) “will you marry me?”
He looks up again and inhales. open, honest and sincere.
The index finger of his right hand caressing the velvet fabric of the box he presents.
perhaps a visceral reminder of another box once held, another promise made - a strong, still very vivid private moment.
(1.16 - 1.22) Chris’ reaction
head nod - searching for the word that isn’t coming - despite that it’s a simple one syllable.
first ”Yeah.” (originally scripted as just “yes”) said with the little remaining air in his tightly held lungs from holding his breath.
Deep inhale (second) ”Yeah. “ Different tone and pitch to his voice, now spoken with air movement over his vocal chords - Chris’ natural speaking voice tone.
(1.22 - 1.28) The kiss
Darren ascended the stairs and claimed Chris in a gentle hold around his ear, check and fingers extending back into his hair. He holds him and gives his love and thanks for the belief Chris has placed in him. This kiss is meant to communicate all that cannot be said publically right now - but soon.
Chris wraps his right arm around Darren’s shoulders and squeezes with is fingers as he holds onto that which grounds him and makes him safe in this vulnerable state
(1.28 - 1.29) The breakaway from the kiss
They both pull back slightly - but Darren, as usual, follows Chris lips and extends his head up for a brief millisecond longer. Both have parted immediate touch of the lips but they can still feel the lingering sensation on their tingling lips.
Chris’ eyes are heavy and slow to open fully still lost in the endorphin rush.
(1.29 - 1.30) Ring out of the box
Daren pulls the ring out of the box and focuses on Chris’ hand
but if you freeze it right at 1.30 the look on Darren’s face is he is about to cry. I have said before they cut away to a shot of Marley and Rider to not show Blaine upset – because he was not supposed to be upset – but ecstatic (which he is in the very next shot)
Darren was emotionally overwhelmed by this scene as much as Chris was and this was a brief glimpse of it that didn’t get cut.
(1.32 – 1.34) Looking at the ring now on Chris’ finger
If you really freeze frame it through these two seconds you can see several changes in hand position.
Darren has his fingers on the ring as if just placed
He opens his hand and holds it at Chris’ outer wrist taking in the vision of the ring on his hand
He wraps his thumb around Chris’ wrist and places it on his pulse point
(1.35 – 1.37) The hug
It’s so simple and represents the stabilization and security after such an emotional ride. They slot together without pretense or hesitation.
Realize however that they are standing on different steps – so Chris is 7 inches taller than Darren – plus their natural height difference of 2-3inches (it is possible that they put a block on Darren’s step to bring him up a little bit and they likely did) but despite the height difference, now exaggerated more, they still fit together both accommodating the other and meeting in the middle.
Wow – so that got long – but I do not apologize – not even a little bit!
Thanks again for the prompt hon!! Hope you enjoy! I know I did!
Most definitely still going strong!!